Several themes in Pressbooks offer an automatic dropcap style. These are:
Two other themes also have an optional dropcap style that can be added using the method explained in the next section. These are:
Adding Dropcaps Manually
In some cases, the dropcap will not appear automatically in your PDF or ebook outputs. There are a few things that can cause this:
- If a chapter begins with a blockquote, heading, image or other device it can prevent the system from recognising the first body paragraph of the chapter
- Some import options bring in stray code that can interfere with the style applying correctly
- Some themes do not default to displaying a dropcap, but it is an option if added manually
If your dropcap isn't appearing automatically, or you'd like to add it somewhere else in your text (e.g. after a section break) you can easily add it by following the steps below:
- In your chapter editor, switch to the text editor
- Wrap the first character of the first paragraph in tags as follows:
This is my first sentence.
- Save and export to see the changes.